The IFSC is a member of ARISF, SportAccord, IWGA, and ASOIF, and is officially recognized by the IOC.
The IFSC is an international non-governmental non-profit organization whose main objectives are the direction, regulation, promotion, development and furtherance of climbing competitions around the world.
The IFSC fosters links, networks, and friendly relations among its members, their climbers and officials.
- The IFSC has committed itself to undertaking the following goals:
- to encourage, promote, develop and supervise climbing competitions worldwide;
- to promote the spirit of the Olympic Movement, respect the Olympic Charter, and to seek program status in the Olympic Games;
- to fight against doping and all other processes and procedures that might undermine sporting equality;
- to implement Anti-doping Rules in accordance with the World Anti- doping Code;
- to promote good sporting practice;
- to generally promote this sport as a healthy and educational activity for youth;
- to establish and maintain rules and standards for competition climbing;
- to establish and maintain rules for international climbing competitions and for the participation in such competitions;
- to monitor and enforce the application of those rules by the Continental Councils and the member federations
- to organize World Climbing Championships, World and Continental Cups, as well as other competitions which are approved by the IFSC Plenary Assembly, and to decide which international climbing competitions are officially recognized;
- to award licenses and contracts to IFSC members and other organizations that seek authority to organize official international climbing competitions and associated activities;
- to establish training courses for all IFSC officials in order to guarantee the highest possible standards for all IFSC officials;
- to consider the protection of the environment when organizing and promoting its activities.
The last two decades have been a period of spectacular growth for both sport climbing and the organization. Sport climbing has gained credibility not only as competitive sport, but also for its social values. The IFSC is a young and healthy Federation founded on modern sporting principles and values, cultivating them along with sport growth and development.
The IFSC has spent its first years building a dynamic but solid structure, based on:
- principles of good governance, universality, equal opportunities, transparency;
- spectacular events ruled by highest standard of rules;
- athletes inclusion in the IF decision-making processes at all levels;
- anti-doping policies and athletes health and integrity protection.